The first St Augustine lighthouse was built in the 1600s by Spanish settlers. It was deemed an official United States lighthouse in 1824. 50 years later it collapsed due to tidal erosion and was replaced by the current St Augustine lighthouse, which is ¼ mile from where the original stood.
The original lighthouse had one reported death which occurred when “Mr. Andreu” fell while painting.
In order for the US government to gain land to build the new lighthouse in 1874, it had to purchase land from a few different owners. A man named Dr. Ballard was unhappy with the deal to sell his land to the government.
Hezekia Pittee had two daughters who, along with their friend, drowned when the handcart they were playing in fell off the tramway that was carrying supplies from ships to the lighthouse.
- Dr. Ballard’s ghost has been reportedly seen by tour guides.
- Multiple reports of seeing the ghosts of young girls. Particularly one, but there is no way to tell whether it is one of the Pittee girls or their friend.
- A former groundskeeper reported the odor of cigar smoke and the sounds of footsteps following him while doing his rounds.
- An entity has also been reported in the Keeper’s House Basement. He is nicknamed the “Man in Blue.”
- Employees of the former gift shop nicknamed an entity Andrew, which they believed to be the cause of poltergeist activity.
- Reports of voices and footsteps in the tower itself.
- Reports of the door at the top of the tower being unlocked in the morning when it was locked the night before.
MORE ON THE LIGHTHOUSE: